With a portfolio of more than 4,000 products covering the fields of genomics, protein analysis and expression, cellular analysis, drug discovery and genetic identity, Promega is a global leader in providing innovative solutions and technical support to life scientists in academic, industrial and government settings.
Promega products are used by life scientists who are asking fundamental questions about biological processes as well as by scientists who are applying scientific knowledge to diagnose and treat diseases, discover new therapeutics, and use genetics and DNA testing for human identification.
Promega holds significant intellectual property rights and licenses in several key areas that form a foundation for its diverse portfolio including:
- Bioluminescence, including engineered luciferases, luciferase reporter vectors and luciferase substrates
- Short tandem repeat (STR) detection for STR-based cell line authentication, human identification, cell and tissue characterization, and mixed sample detection
- HaloTag® protein labeling and capture technology
Originally, founded in 1978 in Madison, Wisconsin, USA, Promega has branches in 16 countries and more than 50 global distributors serving 100 countries. If you are looking for your local Promega sales office, manufacturing facility or product distributor, you can find contact information here.
A cornerstone of Promega business practice is supporting customers, community and employees.
For over 35 years, Promega has consistently integrated the values of corporate responsibility and sustainable business practices into all aspects of our corporate culture and activity. We realize that our success depends upon the connections we forge among our customers, community and employees.
Supporting a work-life balance and an environment that fosters creativity and contribution, Promega offers a work experience that provides opportunity for each individual to make a difference.
Directions to Corporate Headquarters
Promega corporate headquarters are located in the United States in the south-central region of the State of Wisconsin.
Directions & Campus Map »
We offer business development partnerships via in-licensing, and also offer out-licensing of a number of key technologies.
Licensing Opportunities »
Promega Biosciences (PBI) is located in San Luis Obispo, CA, USA (277 Granada Drive) and Joined Promega in 1999.
Who we are
Promega Biosciences is known for its outstanding and innovative work in organic chemistry. Our 50+ employees serve a broad range of functions including research, process development, manufacturing, analytical services, quality assurance and a strong support staff.
Employment opportunities at Promega Biosciences are posted on the Careers page of Promega.com.
Where we are
Promega Biosciences is located at the heart of California’s beautiful central coast. San Luis Obispo County is a destination for wine aficionados, nature lovers, and pleasure-seekers alike. You might enjoy views of the Pacific Ocean from one of our scenic Nine Sisters, a chain of volcanic peaks that run along the coast. Or, spend the day gallivanting around the many wineries, local boutiques, and renowned restaurants in the area. Proclaimed as “the happiest town in the USA”, our community provides a rich and rewarding place to live and play.
What we do
PBI blends innovative research in chemistry with excellence in manufacturing to meet the rapidly changing needs of the scientific community. We provide essential reagents to Promega to help them succeed as a life science leader.
Our areas of expertise include:
- Synthesis and development of bioluminescent products such as modified luciferins and coelenterazines that are used as tools to study gene functions, enzymes, drug interactions, metabolism and more
- Synthesis of many types of heterocyclic fluorescent molecules to aid in analyzing various activities of biological compounds
- Process design and scale-up
- Commercial manufacturing (grams to kilograms)
What we value
We provide outstanding and responsive service to both our internal and external customers. We act with honesty and integrity and uphold the highest professional ethics. We are highly committed to being responsible to our community, our environment, and to each other.
- Evaluation of hazardous waste disposal resulted in more environmentally favorable methods such as recycling and reclaiming rather than incineration. This shift reduced the amount of hazardous waste being incinerated by 93%.
- We decreased our energy usage by 12% by implementing a variable speed ventilation system in our Production area.
- Our employees banned together to win a Bike-to-Work Challenge for businesses in San Luis Obispo County, saving near 1000 pounds of greenhouse gases and 50 gallons of gas.
- Many of our employees volunteer time to various local organizations and our Community Action Team puts on quarterly events to promote awareness and raise funds for local charities.
Promega BioSystems (PBS) is located in Sunnyvale, CA, USA (645 N. Mary Ave.) and joined the Promega team in 2009 as part of the Integrated Solutions business unit.
Who we are
Promega BioSystems employs a diverse group of people with many different talents. Our staff includes a highly skilled team of R&D Engineers, a strong quality team, a very experienced production team and support staff in accounting and human resources.
Employment opportunities at Promega BioSystems are posted on the Careers page of Promega.com.
What we value
Promega BioSystems Sunnyvale is highly committed to quality in all areas of the company. We are ISO 13485 certified and compliant with 21 CFR Part 820. Our quality program assures team satisfaction, quality products and responsive service.
Throughout the entire Promega organization, corporate responsibility, which includes stewardship of the environment, commitment to human rights, and involvement the surrounding community, is a key value. Promega BioSystems has implemented many sustainability and community initiatives:
- In 2011 Promega BioSystems was certified as a "Green Business" by Santa Clara County for their ongoing efforts around sustainability.
- Promega BioSystems continues to work protect natural resources by reducing water use through low-flow aerators and more efficient dishwashers.
- In 2012 Promega BioSystems partnered with the City of Sunnyvale to implement a compost program, which resulted in downsizing from a 6 cubic yard waste container to a 96 gallon waste container.
Where we are
Promega BioSystems is located in the San Francisco bay area of California, USA, in the heart of "silicon valley." Despite our urban setting, we are only minutes away from beaches, mountains, and forests, providing a beautifully enriched locale for our employees and their families.
What we do
Promega BioSystems designs, manufactures and services single-tube and microplate readers for fluorescent and luminescent biological assays. We are also the manufacturing site of the Maxwell® CSC Instrument, a cGMP-compliant automated nucleic acid extraction system.
Some of the many instruments designed and manufactured at Promega BioSystems include:
- GloMax® plate-reading and single-tube instruments
- QuantiFluor™ handheld fluorometers
- Maxwell® CSC Instrument
- DML 3000 Luminometer for the QIAGEN HPV System (molecular diagnostics)
GloMax® Instruments are designed to work with Promega bioassays for seamless workflow, from assay to measurement
The Maxwell® Clinical Sample Concentrator for nucleic acid extraction (available in the US only)