Our new facilities in Waldorf, Germany and Southampton, United Kingdom are also using renewable energy and designing for energy efficiency. Both facilities use ground source heat pumps and are incorporating solar arrays to generate electricity on-site. Additional facilities that generate renewable electricity include:
- Promega Italia in Milan
- Promega Biotech Ibérica in Alcobendas, Spain
- Promega Biotech AB in Stockholm, Sweden
- Promega AG in Switzerland
- Promega Brazil in Sao Paulo
- The Aviation Operations building in Madison, WI
- The da Vinci facility in Madison, WI
In the last year, gross electricity usage decreased by 2% even with an increase in building footprint. This saved over 524,000 kWh, the equivalent of the electricity used by nearly 50 homes annually. Transitioning operations to more energy efficient facilities, projects to improve energy efficiency and the daily efforts of all employees worldwide made these reductions possible. Electricity usage contributes to over 50% of our carbon emissions and minimizing these effects is a focus at all Promega locations. To this end, we invest in energy efficiency, generate electricity from photovoltaic panels and purchase electricity from renewable sources. Recent highlights include:
- Company-wide initiatives to incorporate high-efficiency LED lighting continued in 2019. Renovations were completed at three more facilities last year, affecting over 1,000 lamps and saving over 117,000 kWh annually.
- A more efficient central chiller plant connected to our R&D facility has saved over 500,000 kWh each year. In 2020, we extended our central plant to additional facilities to further optimize energy efficiency of needs at new and existing facilities.