The PowerPlex® 16 BIO System is a multiplex STR system for use in DNA typing, including paternity testing, forensic DNA analysis, human identity testing and tissue culture strain identification. The system allows co-amplification and three-color detection of sixteen loci (fifteen STR loci and Amelogenin): Penta E, D18S51, D21S11, TH01, D3S1358 (labeled with fluorescein); FGA, TPOX, D8S1179, vWA, Amelogenin (labeled with Rhodamine Red™-X); and Penta D, CSF1PO, D16S539, D7S820, D13S317, D5S818 (labeled with JOE). The amplified STRs are detected using the Hitachi FMBIO® II Fluorescence Imaging System.
High-throughput analysis is achieved by using the available software to compare amplified DNA fragments directly with the allelic ladder provided for each locus. The allelic ladder mixture consists of most or all known alleles in the population and is included to allow rapid and precise assignment of alleles. The size marker (Internal Lane Standard 600 BIO) provided with the system is tagged with a fourth fluorescent dye. This marker is included as a standard to increase precision in analysis when using the PowerPlex® 16 BIO System.
The Matrix 16 BIO is provided to help properly generate a color matrix for color separation using a filter set* and the Hitachi FMBIO® Analysis Software. The Matrix 16 BIO consists of fragments labeled with four different fluorescent dyes: Fluorescein, JOE, Rhodamine Red™-X and Texas Red®-X. These four dyes are the same as those used in the PowerPlex® 16 BIO System.
*Filter sets (MiraiBio Cat.# 11999-246-00) are available for purchase from MiraiBio, Inc., at 800-624-6176 (USA) or 510-337-2000.
- One Amplification: Amplify all 13 CODIS STR loci in one reaction.
- Sensitivity: The system is designed to amplify 0.5–1ng of DNA.
- Internal Lane Standard (ILS) 600 BIO: The marker is used in each gel lane to increase precision in analysis. The ILS 600 BIO contains 21 evenly balanced fragments of 80–600bp.
- Allelic Ladder Mix: Allelic ladders for all 16 loci, labeled with three fluorescent dyes, are provided to simplify interpretation of alleles.
- Matrix 16 BIO: This tool is provided to aid in color separation.
For more information, see the Protocols & Applications Guide.