Scholarship Award Program
Congratulations to Our 2020 Scholarship Recipients!
We are excited to partner with them on their journey building a career in life sciences.
The goal of Promega’s Diversification of Our Research Scientists (D.O.O.R.S) Scholarship is to recognize and empower underrepresented minority students by offering a $5,000 award that can be used towards resources to support tuition and fees required for enrollment or attendance at an educational institution.
This includes fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for courses at an educational institution. In addition to that, the D.O.O.R.S. awardees will have access to scientific, career-path, and technical writing mentorships.
Student Resource Center
Explore our collection of resources related to biology techniques, and our guide to navigating your career.
Sign up for one of our free Webinars to learn basic and advanced science topics to get tips and techniques for your lab.
See what special offers and discounts are currently available. View all Promega promotions.
Create a Sustainable Lab
Through partnering together, we'll help you achieve your goals of creating a more sustainable lab.
- The Promega Diversification of Our Research Scientists (DOORS) Award is available to individuals who are at least 18 years old and are a researcher or scientist that is currently enrolled in a life science undergraduate program in their junior or senior year of study. Eligible individuals are not required to buy Promega products or pay any fees to participate. Employees of Promega and members of the immediate families of such employees are not eligible. Employees of authorized Promega distributors are not eligible.
- The DOORS Award is not available in all geographic regions. Applicants should please check with their Promega representative or authorized Promega distributor for availability in their area. Void where prohibited by law.
- Members of the following under-represented racial/ethnic groups are strongly encouraged to apply: Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino, American Indian or Alaska Native, Asian, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, First Nations, Inuit and Métis.
- Applicants must demonstrate a strong interest in pursuing a career in a biotechnology related field.
- Deadline to enter is Saturday October 31, 2020, 11:59pm CDT. Winners will be notified no later than the week of November 16, 2020.
- The following illustrates the information the applicant will be asked when submitting entry to the award program.
- Contact Information: First name, last name, birthdate, email address, telephone, job/role, institute, major, street address, city, state/province (as applicable), postal code/ZIP, country, race/ethnicity.
- Academic Reference Letter: To come from an academic professor in a life sciences field who has a good understanding of the applicant’s interests and can speak to why they deserve the award. First name, last name, email address, telephone, job/role, institute, letter of recommendation for the award. (1 paragraph on why student deserves award)
- Essay Question: Why does the applicant want to pursue a career in biotechnology/life sciences? (under 500 words)
- Abstract: Submit a brief abstract (under 500 words) describing the applicant’s research. Please make sure to define goals, objectives for the project.
- Please consider that some organization’s internal policy may not allow the applicant to receive incentives or that employer’s permission may need to be requested before participating in the contest. Limit one entry per lab.
Review Process and Awards:
- Winners will be selected by a committee of judges from Promega (the “Promega Selection Committee”) based on information submitted in the application form. Winners may be subject to a phone call to confirm application information.
- Each winner will be notified by e-mail, phone and/or postal mail at the sole discretion of Promega, the week of November 16, 2020. In the event a winner cannot receive their prize for any reason, the prize shall be awarded to an alternate winner as determined by the Promega Selection Committee.
- Award recipients will receive:
- A $5,000 USD scholarship to be used to pay for tuition and fees required for enrollment or attendance at the winners’ educational institution, or for fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for courses at the educational institution.
- Awardees will receive access to a Promega scientific mentor for providing constructive feedback on their experimental design and research, providing scientific posters and/or white papers, and professional/career development.
- By accepting the DOORS Award, the applicant agrees to share information or data collected for marketing or commercial purposes. Specifically, winners agree to:
- Share stories from their research with Promega in the months following them receiving the scholarship award.
- Support promotional activities at Promega’s request for 12 months following accepting the award, which could include, but is not limited to, interviews, webinar presentations, website story features, videos, photoshoots, blogging, data sharing, and/or presenting at conferences or seminars. This content will be shared on the Promega website (www.promega.com), the Promega blog (www.promegaconnections.com) and Promega social media accounts including Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
- Acknowledge Promega in scientific publication(s) authored by the award recipient related to the research performed and supported by the award.
- In case of a dispute regarding the identity of the person submitting an online entry, the entry will be deemed to be submitted by the person in whose name the e-mail account is registered. The winner may be required to provide evidence that he/she is the authorized account holder of the e-mail address associated with the winning entry. Return of any award notification as undeliverable will result in forfeiture of the prize.
- Entry information shall be the property of Promega. No prize transfer or cash redemption will be permitted. No prize substitution will be permitted, except by the sole discretion of Promega, in which case a prize of comparable or greater value may be awarded.
- Taxes on prizes are the sole responsibility of the winner. It will be up to the winner to properly code their scholarship award when filing their taxes. Promega cannot state this scholarship is tax exempt for any students from outside the United States.
- Promega reserves the right to substitute any award of equal or greater value or to cancel, suspend, and/or modify the award at its sole discretion.
- By participating, applicants agree to abide by and be bound by the rules and decisions of Promega which shall be final in all respects relating to this DOORS Scholarship Award, including without limitation the interpretation of this rule. Participants agree to release, discharge and hold harmless Promega, its subsidiaries, affiliates, and their officers, directors, agents and representatives and their respective employees from any and all claims, charges, injuries, liability, losses and/or damages of any kind resulting from or arising out of his or her participation in the DOORS Award and/or the acceptance, use, misuse or possession of any products received through the DOORS Award. Winners of this award will be ineligible for future DOORS Awards.