Rendón, M.A., Saldaña, Z., Erdem, A.L., Monteiro-Neto, V., Vázquez, A., Kaper, J.B., Puente, J.L. and Girón, J.A.
Notes: The authors identified an adherence factor of enterohemorrhagic E. coli that is involved in colonization of cultured epithelial cells. This factor, named E. coli common pilus (ECP), is encoded by the ecpA gene, which is present 96% of E. coli strains tested, as determined by PCR. The remaining 4% of the strains were found to be deficient in the ECP operon, as determined by multiplex PCR amplification of ecpR, ecpA, epcB and ecpC sequences. PCR were performed using GoTaq® Green Master Mix. An ecpA deletion mutant exhibited impaired adherence compared to the wildtype E. coli strain. Complementation of the mutant strain with the plasmid pMR13, the pGEM®-T Vector cotaining the ecpA gene, restored the strain's ability to adhere to epithelial cells. (3719)