The PowerPlex® Y23 System allows Y-STR analysis of human forensic and database samples. The 5-dye STR multiplex amplifies 23 Y-STR loci, including two rapidly mutating Y-STR loci.
The system enables laboratories to:
- Detect more male DNA in the presence of excess female DNA
- Obtain a full profile from challenging casework samples, even those containing high concentrations of inhibitors
- Save time in every run with rapid-cycling protocols
- Simplify workflows with one kit for both casework and database samples
Amplify 23 Y-STR Loci in a Single Amplification Reaction
The inclusion of six highly informative loci can help improve a laboratory's ability to distinguish individuals from different parental lines, providing more meaningful analyses and making the system ideal for:
- Forensic casework on sexual assault evidence
- High female-to-male DNA ratio
- Multiple male profiles
- Familial searching
- Paternity testing
- Missing persons investigations
- Migration and evolutionary studies
- Historical and genealogical research
Amplify Only Male DNA
The PowerPlex® Y23 System can successfully amplify trace amounts of male DNA, even in the presence of overabundant amounts of female DNA.
Obtain Full Profiles from the Most Challenging Samples
The PowerPlex® Y23 System is a robust multiplex that is tolerant of many amplification inhibitors, including hematin, tannic acid and humic acid. The robust performance of the kit results in more interpretable data and less need for re-amplification of inhibitor-laden samples.
Streamline Workflows with Direct Amplification
The PowerPlex® Y23 System also is compatible with direct amplification, helping to streamline Y-STR databasing efforts. Amplification can be successfully performed with sample types such as FTA® card punches as well as pretreated swabs, Bode Buccal DNA Collector™ punches or S&S 903 punches.